Saturday, October 12, 2013

DIY Botanical Art Prints with Frames for $13!



I was so thrilled when I found these frames at target, I got all 4 for $13.01(with tax here in CA)
Room Essentials® Format Frame 6 Pack - 8.5x11
these look similar to the ones I bought. Oh how I wish I had money for that camera I've been after. 

Anywho, I bought eight of them and took them home to start on an art project to fill up the space on my staircase wall.

I ended up searching for a dictionary page that looked old enough/discolored enough to print from my home. I needed something that I wouldn't have to print and then age by hand. I ended up finding this one that sufficed quite nicely:
you can find it here at The Graphics Fairy

I then found these botanical prints online scattered through out the web at a mix of websites. I suggest that you search botanical prints at the graphics fairy while your grabbing the dictionary page, they have some beautiful ones.

Once you have all the images you want to use, open the dictionary page into Photoshop(if you don't have the money for Photoshop then Gimp is an awesome free application I use to use)

Re-size the image to 8.5x11 inches(super important since we want it to be the exact size of our printer paper)
Then copy the image of whatever botanical print you like and paste it on top(it should paste centered on the image already)

After it is opened it should look like this:

Half the work is already done for us, now all you have to do is layer them to get the effect of the flowers printed on top of the paper.

To achieve this effect you select the flowers layer(Layer 2 in my case) Then you click the drop down menu above it that should say "Normal". Scroll down to the effect "Multiply" and click it.


Once you have selected "Multiply" it should look almost transparent on top of the dictionary paper just like the image below.


And the rest is honestly just as easy as the first steps. Just print your new image onto a thick matte photo paper with no margins and it looks lovely inside its frame.



Voila! Beautiful art that is cheap, personal, and fun to make.




No comments:

Post a Comment